Project Name: Strengthening Community Campaign on Violence Against Women in Busia District.
Funder: Independent Development Fund (IDF)
Beginning July 2016, Institute for Social Transformation (IST) will implement a one-year women’s rights project in the 6 sub-counties of Busia District, funded by Independent Development Fund (IDF). The project is implemented in the six sub-counties of Busia district and that is Dabani, Busia municipal, Bulumbi, Buteba, Masafu and Masinya. This is aimed at creating awareness on women’s rights and access to justice among women to ensure that they are protected against any kind of violation. The project is titled; “strengthen community campaign against women violence in Busia”
The program targets the Justice Law and order Sector (JLOS), this includes the police, prison, state attorneys/prosecutors, Magistrates, probation officers, CDOs at sub-county levels. This will scale up their participation in the prevention and response to violence against women.
To contribute to the elimination of violation of rights of women through increased assertiveness and pro-activeness of women.
The project will be implemented for a period of one year (July-2016/June 2017)
Areas of Operation
The project is implemented in the six sub-counties of Busia district and that is Dabani, Busia municipal, Bulumbi, Buteba, Masafu and Masinya.
Overall Project Objective
To contribute to elimination of violation of rights of women through increased assertiveness and pro-activeness of women
- To increase civic consciousness and capacity among women to demand and defend their rights in the six targeted sub counties of Busia District.
- To increase access to justice and protection of women against violence by the JLOs stakeholders in Busia District.
- To increase sharing of project results, institutional profiling and influencing of duty bearers.
- Conduct a Baseline Survey on women’s rights violations in Busia.
- Community dialogues and sensitization on issues of women’s rights involving JLOS stakeholders and the champions.
- Organize 9 radio talk shows on awareness of women’s Rights.
- Production of Information Materials
- One Refresher training of 75 women rights champions
- Review meetings at sub-county level
- Training of 20 JLOS stakeholders of Busia District in civic consciousness.
- Organize Legal Aid camp in Busia District.
- Follow up and provide legal advisory services to the women survivors of violence.
- Monitoring and Evaluation of Project Progress
- Generation and publication of project results
- Conduct End line project evaluation
- Organize Validation Meeting
- Women rights champions, Right holders like women, Men, boys and Girls.
- Religious leaders, Local leader’s duty bearers
- Increased women’s rights awareness and enhanced monitoring of rights observance in Busia District
- Functional community structures of women’s rights champions that provide fast response and referrals to address violations.
- Increased access to justice and support to survivors of women rights abuse
- Improved Documentation, learning, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Effective and Quality Program management, Institutional development and sustainability